As champions of the revival of hemp in Lancaster County, here at Chiques Creek we’re proud to extol the nutritional value and health benefits of hemp to our customers.
What is Hemp?
Hemp, one of the oldest domesticated crops known to man, is a variety of the Cannabis sativa plant species and is grown specifically for its industrial uses. Hemp can be refined into a variety of commercial items such as: paper, textiles, clothing, biodegradable plastics, paint, insulation, biofuel, food, and even animal feed!
What Nutrients Does Hemp Contain?
Hemp seeds and oil are a great source of plant-based protein making them incredibly nutritious. They’re particularly rich in essential fatty acids and other polyunsaturated fatty acids like gamma linolenic acid (GLA). They’re also rich in vitamin E and several minerals including magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, and zinc to name a few.
Hemp Fact: Hemp seeds have more protein than quinoa, chia and flaxseeds and are a good source of soluble and insoluble fiber too.
Benefits of Hemp Foods
What are the health benefits of consuming hemp?
The nutrients found in hemp products make them excellent for supporting conditions such as:
- Constipation, due to fiber content
- Helps to reduce arthritis, inflammation, and joint pain
- Strengthens cardiovascular health and reduce risk factors that can lead to heart disease, such as high blood pressure
- Anti-inflammatory and antioxidative properties because of the excellent balance of omega-3 found in hemp oil
- Reduce the symptoms of Eczema and Plaque Psoriasis
- Hemp may also help to improve hair and nail quality
- Help reduce symptoms of PMS given the GLA content